You cannot rely on the natural detoxification process your body goes through, so there are options to support the process. You have to remove the toxins from your body as fast as possible, otherwise it gets reabsorbed into your body, instead of being eliminated. Many people get sicker after they start treatment. This is due to lack of proper detoxing. I repeat proper detoxing. Choice of detox techniques should be modified based on symptoms that are being experienced.
I have been finding myself giving a lot of advice on detoxing for different reasons. I cannot call myself an expert, however having 3 ill children teaches you a lot about detoxification process. Instead of individually writing one more message to another fellow Lymey, I’ve decided to make a post on the topic. That way I can help the rest of the folks, if they need help.
Below are some tools and techniques you can use to help quickly dump the toxins out of your body. Some of them are more commonly used. Some of them you might not have heard about it. Many of these detoxification techniques promotes Lymphatic, Liver, Bowel and Kidney Function. Some of them are good for neuro detoxing. Some help promote Stomach/Gut health. Some help things like Skin Crawling, Tremors, Restless Leg Syndrome, Brain Fog, Migraines and so on. It is a long list, so no one can expect you to take all of them. You have to listen to your body, understand your symptoms and choose the appropriate detox technique to help reduce or even eliminate your symptoms. This is mainly trial and error. What works for one might not work for another. If you understand and accept, detoxifying is a dynamic process; you will get better results.
There are two main ways to detox: through our skin or through our digestive system. I’ve made a list for both types. I suggest you bookmark this page, because it is impossible to remember all of these – especially with that Lymey brain of yours 😀
Through our skin:
- Unleaded Clay: This is something you can find in health stores. Spread it to your skin topically, let it dry and wash off.
- Sauna: Lyme does not do very well in high temperature, which is a good thing.
- Exercise: This one is very important, but very hard to accomplish since you feel too weak.
- Epsom Salt Baths: Fill the tub with hot water (as hot as you can handle). Pour 4-5 cups of epsom salt depending on your tub size (you might start slowly with one cup and increase the epsom salt level as your tolerance level gets better). Take a bath towel and dip it in the tub and cover your shoulders with the towel (This step helps increase the heat – remember heat isn’t good for Lyme, which means it is very good for you). Please be aware, you will feel tremendously worse by the time you get out. I would advice to lay and rest for a few hours afterwards. Once you are rested, you will realize some of you major die-off symptoms decrease.
- Epsom Salt Foot Bath: When I don’t feel up to the whole tub deal, I do the foot baths. Invest in a foot bucket (no need for expensive foot spas with jets and heaters – all you need is an empty bucket that can comfortably fit your feet). Pour 2 cups of Epsom Salt, 1/2 cup of Baking Soda and 1/2 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide and fill the bucket half way with hot water (again as hot as you can handle – heat is an important factor here)
Through our digestive system:
- Herbal Teas (Promotes gut health): The Herbal Blend tea, Harvest Blend (it has amazing herbs for the gut), Ginger, Chamomile. Drink 2 qts of tea for the stomach daily. If you cannot find those, you can buy any herbal tea with the following ingredients
- Carminative Herbs: Fennel seed (Foeniculum vulgare), Peppermint herb (Mentha x piperita), Wild Yam root (Dioscorea villosa), Chamomile flowers (Matricaria recutita), Ginger root (Zingiber officinale)
- Alterative Compound: Burdock root (Arctium lappa), Red Clover blossoms (Trifolium pratense), Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Oregon Grape root (Mahonia nervosa), Poke root (Phytolacca americana), Stillingia root (Stillingia sylvatica), Prickly Ash bark (Zanthoxylum americanum), Quassia wood (Picraena excelsa), Potassium Iodine
- Supplements (Pills/Capsules): Multivitamin, CoQ10 (400 mg, 100mg for children), Probiotics (Twice a day like Dr. Ohhira), Vitamin D (5,000-10,000 IU), Vitamin B Complex (twice a day), Burdock root (Take them especially with the probiotics daily), mixed carotenoids, vitamin E with selenium, Vitamin C (1000-2000 mg a day – It increases the activity of Reishi), Turmeric (Great blood thinner, help avoid blod clots and increase oxygen levels in blood – reduces/eliminates skin crawling), Alpha Lipoic Acid (200-600 mg a day – Besides detoxing it helps increase CoQ10’s effectiveness) Green Tea, Chelated Magnesium (200-400 mg a day – Helps with digestion, restless leg syndrome and digestive health), Essential Fatty Acids (1000-2000 mg a day – like fish oil) or Medium Chain Fatty Acids (1000-2000 MG A DAY – like coconut oil or MCT oil), Biotin (Helps with hair, nails and skin), Zinc (15-25 mg a day – Do not take it, if it is already in other supplements! It will displace copper, if taken in excess), Glucosamine (Helps with joint symptoms), Milk Thistle (275 mg a day – Supports liver function)
- Supplements Herbal Drops: Parsley or Burluy herbal drops, Pinella herbal drops (Mix 8 drops of Pinella with 8 drops of Parsley or Burluy drops – Relieves the symptoms of neuro-toxins)
- Foods (Promotes gut health): Brassica family vegetables (like broccoli, kale, cauliflower), Allium family (like garlic, ramps and onions), Fructooligosaccharides foods ( These are foods that contains FOS and inulin and they promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut), Bananas, Pineapple, Raw Apples, Soybeans, Legumes, Jerusalem Artichokes, Asparagus, Onions, Garlic, Leaks, Chives, Eggplant, Chicory
- Other Detox Techniques: Green drinks (At least once a day. Helps digestive system to work and increases energy levels – Rejuvenate, Rejuvenate Pro, Amazing Grass Green Super Food), Olive oil (1-2 teaspoon daily), Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (1 tablespoon mixed with at least 4 oz of warm water on an empty stomach – As an alkalizing agent helps detoxing – Good for heartburn, stomach ache, in repairing the stomach and intestines, headaches, severe stomachaches/cramps) , Lemon Infused Water, Cucember Infused Water, Raspberry and Mint Infused Water, Ginger, Lemon and Honey Mixture for homemade herbal tea, Kefir (2-4 ounces a day – Yogurt like African drink – helps to replace beneficial flora to the gut), Alka-Seltzer Gold (The only type of Alka-Seltzer that can be used for detoxing! – Two tablets, One tablet for children every 2-4 hours – Helps with headaches – Lemon or lime can be added to improve the taste and as an alkalizing agent)
- Detoxing for Major Die-Off (These are usually the last resort when it comes to detoxing, but they are very effective): Coffe Enemas (Please see below for a recipe), Activated Charcoal Capsules (take away from any medications or vitamins), Zeolites (It is not absorb by the body, but travels through the intestines binding toxins and metals), ACZ Advanced Cellular Zeolite (Oral spray version of Zeolites)
Coffee Enema Recipe
- Ground coffee (not decaf or instant, preferably organic)
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cup
- Tablespoon size measuring spoon or coffee scoop
- Sieve or coffee filter
- Large size Fleet’s enema kit with solution discarded – fill container with coffee prepared as instructed. Small size fleet for children
Measure 1 pint (2 cups) of water into saucepan and add 2 tablespoons or 1 coffee scoop of ground coffee. Bring to boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. Cooling further by refrigerating may be helpful in holding the coffee in more easily. Pour coffee through sieve or coffee filter into a jar or other container. Discard grounds. Empty the Fleet Enema kit solution and replace with the strained coffee.
Lie on your left side, preferably on a towel. Insert tip completely into rectum and squeeze in coffee. Hold for 20 minutes. Since this is a retention enema, not a cleansing one, it is best done when the colon is clean. If you are constipated, you may choose to use the Fleet enema solution first (no need to retain fluid, just flush out any stool) then do the coffee enema.
This can pull electrolytes from your body (potassium, magnesium, calcium) with repeated usage. Therefore, this is a useful detoxing tool when you are experiencing a die-off reaction for 2 or 3 days, but not to be used on a daily basis. Those with ongoing die-off symptoms can use this once a week to keep toxin levels lowered. If you are concerned about electrolyte imbalances or feel weak afterwards, a bottle of Smart Water will replace any electrolyte losses.